Monday, August 27, 2012

prevent panic

See this little guy?  He is one of four lights of my life.  The others are my husband, oldest son Phil and my new daughter in law, Betsy.

When we go on vacation we take certain precautions.  We are not alarmists but know that we can get separated and rather than panic we have plans in place to find everyone again.

First, I make shirts for our trip. We wear them on certain days of our trip.  I find bright colored shirts and then design themes for the day.  I can always look around and see 4 shirts just like mine and know where my crew is.

I take a picture of Drew every morning in what he is wearing.  I take it next to something so we can have an approximate height.  That way I am not having to try and recall how tall he is, what he is wearing (yes I know I can say - he has on this same shirt but that can't be dispatched quickly if he is separated from us, a photo can be)

When Phil was younger and now with Drew the first thing we do when we enter any amusement park or museum is approach someone wearing a badge. We tell him if he gets separated to look for a person with that type of badge and only talk to them.

I know some mom's who put a small bracelet or necklace on their kids with a parental cell phone number so they can be reached.

With the advent of cell phones we can text each other through out the day if some choose to go in different directions just to check in or let them know where to meet up.

One mom I know has a code word and when the kids hear that they know to line up and listen up because important information is about to be said.  (she has SEVERAL kids) It is only used in an emergency so they know it is important.

I know everyone has their own plans in place in large places to keep together or find each other if separated. What do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment